Produced for over a decade between 1959 and 1971, the model Herald from Standard-Triumph International (later taken over by Leyland Motors), was a very popular model and produced in India (Standard Motors, Madras), Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and even in Latin America (Peru). In Italy, this model was produced at the DUCATI motorcycle factory.
Designed by Giovanni Michelotti (who worked wiith several design houses such as Stabilimenti Farina, Vignale, Ghia-Aigle, Scioneri, Monterosa, Viotti and Allemano), the car displayed two distinct features – an all round view and razor-edge body.
Though the bodies were initially built by body builders Fisher & Ludlow, relationship soured with the factory in 1961 after Leyland Motors took over the management of Standard-Triumph. The new management decided to produce the car body on their own and the chassis/engine separately so that several variants such as pick-up, estate (stationwagon) can be built by other coachbuilders.
Meanwhile the original 950 cc engine did not appeal to the public as they found it to be under-powered resulting in dwindling sales. So the new Leyland management decided to give the car a more powerful 1147 cc engine, new Solex carburettor, wooden laminated dashboard, rubber covered bumpers and labelled it as the Triumph Herald 1200.
This is an exact rendition of the Estate version and one of the only 100 pieces that have been created.
|- Premium collectible|
|- Licensed product|
|- Material: RESIN|
|- High precision miniature models|
|- Non-opening model|
|- On plinth (platform base) with plexiglas hard-display case|
|- Only 100 pieces created|
|Box Dimension (in inches)||6 x 3 x 3|