FIAT on December 1965 entered in to an agreement with Polish government owned automobile firm called FSO (Abryka Samochodów Osobowych) to make a car model. The idea was to produce a powerful car with all the basics of a simple car. It was then communism in Poland and so relations with the West were rare and imports had to be nil.
The body of a FIAT 125 was selected and this was integrated with the engine of a FIAT 1300 (also FIAT 1500, little later). Several parts for this model also came from fellow Comecon countries such as Russia and Yugoslovia who also made the FIAT 125 car model. To differentiate this new model from the others, FIAT and FSO decided to name the new model as the FIAT 125P.
Once the collaboration ended the car was renamed as FSO 1300 and FSO 1500.
Soon this car became popular throughout Poland and were used by Taxi drivers in the capital city Warsaw.